It might sound surprising, but we receive queries like this on a regular basis. Since lots of people suffer from the loss of MS Word files, the situation is quite common. The good news is that we can easily do MS Word recovery in different ways. For instance, you can use a native Microsoft Word auto recovery option or use a third-party tool. In this guide, we will discuss 10 different options to do Word recovery in detail.
Before we learn various ways to do Word file recovery, it is important to know what could have caused this issue. Ideally, there could be the following triggers behind it.
Most of the people prefer taking the assistance of the inbuilt Microsoft Word features to recover their documents. Ideally, you can also follow these native techniques to do a quick Word doc recovery.
This is one of the easiest ways to do Word recovery. By default, Word automatically saves the changes in a document in the form of a temporary file. Therefore, even if you can’t find the actual document, you can load the relevant temporary file to access your data. In order to do Word temp file recovery, follow these steps:
1. To start with, simply launch the Microsoft Word application on your system. Go to its File menu > Info tab.
2. From here, visit the “Manage Documents” option and choose the option to recover unsaved documents.
3. This will open a browser Window and display all the temporary files saved by Word. Simply select a temp file and load it to view its content in Word.
To make it easier for its users to do Word file recovery, Microsoft has introduced the AutoRecover option. The feature can automatically recover a Word file (if it is turned on in advance). Therefore, even if the Word document is closed, you can visit the recovery location to extract the second copy of your Word file. To access Word document recovery location, follow these steps:
1. To know the Word recovery file location, open the application first and visit its Options. In some versions, it can be viewed under Tools > Options while in others it is just listed as “Word Options”.
2. Go to the Save tab and enable the AutoRecover option from here. You can also view the Word recover file location for AutoRecover as well.
3. Furthermore, there is also an option to perform automatic recovery in every n second.
4. In the end, you can just visit the designated location on your system and browse the existing recovery files. You can just open them with Word to access their data.
In case if you are not able to get the Word recovery file location, then don’t worry. At times, Word automatically displays the existing recovery files on the interface. You can just compare their data and load the file. Though, this option is mostly displayed when a file is closed unexpectedly during its processing. In this case, you can just load an autosaved file by following these basic steps:
1. Start by launching Microsoft Word again. Just make sure that your computer is working properly.
2. On the left panel of Word, you can view a dedicated section for autosaved files. You can view their details (like their time) from here.
3. Simply double-click on the file of your choice and load it in Word. You can also right-click its icon and choose to “Open” it as well.
You might already know that when a document is deleted on Windows, it isn’t erased from the storage right away. Instead, it is moved to Recycle Bin. Therefore, you can easily do Word document recovery right from the Recycle Bin. Here’s how you can do it.
1. Firstly, visit Recycle Bin on your computer. You can find its icon on the desktop.
2. Browse all the files stored in Recycle Bin and find the needed document.
3. Simply select the file and right click it. Now, click on the “Restore” button. This will restore the Word file directly to its original location.
This technique will help you do MS doc file recovery if your Word document has been relocated. For instance, if you have moved the Word file and can’t remember its location or the file has been overwritten, then this would be an ideal solution. Here’s how you can try to do MS Word recovery.
1. Firstly, launch Windows Explorer (or Finder) on your system. Go to the search bar and type the name of the Word file.
2. Make sure that you are searching for the file in a relevant location. After finding the file, you can select it, and open its location.
3. In case if the file is corrupt, then you can repair it as well. Just launch MS Word and click on the “Open” option.
4. Now, locate the file and select it. Click on the dropdown icon near the Open button and choose to “Open and Repair” the file.
While the native Microsoft features are easily accessible, they aren’t the best. Chances are that you might not get your lost or deleted Word documents by following the above-listed solutions. Don’t worry – you can still use a dedicated Word recovery tool to get your lost data back. Here are the 5 best Word recovery software to try.
This is the best MS Word recovery software that can help you get back all kinds of lost and deleted Word files. The application is extremely easy to use and features different scanning modes. Users can perform data recovery on their computer’s internal drive or any other external connected unit. The tool also has one of the highest success rates, which makes it a recommended doc file recovery software.
Firstly, launch the iSkysoft data recovery application of your computer. From its home page, select a recovery mode.
Subsequently, you need to specify where you wish to look for the lost or deleted Word documents. It can be an internal drive or any externally connected unit as well.
Once you start scanning the selected source, simply wait for a while as the application would scan for any lost or deleted Word file.
In the end, you can just preview the content in iSkysoft’s interface and restore Word files to a secure location.
If needed, you can also perform an all-around scan as well. While it will take more time to do Word recovery, the results would be more comprehensive.
This is a freemium Word recovery software that is extensively accessed by Windows users. Though, if you have a Mac, then you can skip this option. The tool is lightweight and provides different options to recover all kinds of Office and other important documents.
The EaseUS Data Recovery tool is a user-friendly application that can recover Word documents under different scenarios. While the process can be time consuming, it would yield more extensive results too.
Disk Drill by Pandora Recovery could be another option for Word recovery to try. The free Word recovery software supports extraction of up to 500 MB. To extract more content, users need to get its premium version.
Recuva by CCleaner is mostly used to retrieve Word documents that are accidentally deleted. The tool has a free version with basic features and a premium one that offers more advanced features.
Since there are so many ways to do Word recovery, you might be confused. Ideally, you can consider the following things in mind to pick the best recovery option.
I’m sure the guide would come handy to you to do Word document recovery as per your convenience. As you can see, from all the mentioned options, iSkysoft Data Recovery provides the best results. It can recover all kinds of documents, including Word files as well. The tool can further be used to perform an extensive document recovery under different scenarios. Keep it handy as it might end up saving the day after an unwanted document loss.